Saturday, August 31, 2013

....cont.

Surgery was August 19th and I haven't posted at all to let my readers know how things went and are continuing to go....sorry.
Surgery went well, I was pretty out of it and got sick when we finally returned home.  Gary panicked a little, called Roswell and got me some nausea medication to help.  I'm glad he did.  It helped a lot and I was actually able to sleep for 6 hours.  By the next morning I was able to eat and drink.  Tuesday I slept a lot and just relaxed.  By Wednesday I was able to shower and finally looked at the incision.  It is about 5 inches wide and extends into my armpit area.  The incision itself wasn't painful, just sticky from the dermabond.  The entire breast and armpit is what is most uncomfortable.  It is still difficult to raise my right arm and it feels tight.  I am to do exercises daily to reduce the rigidness.
Monday the 26th we returned for a follow up with the surgeon.  Fabulous lady I must say.  She said that the pathology report showed she got all of it!  Phew, what a relief!  I was definitely not going to be happy if they had to go back in!  It didn't spread into the lymph nodes either, another great discovery!  BUT....I still need chemo and radiation.  The cancer was a moderate stage 2 and because of my age I have to continue with the original plan.  Which I am trying to look on the bright side, this should take care of any cancer cells that are lingering somewhere in my body so hopefully I can live the rest of my life cancer free.
We go back to Roswell on the 11th of September to meet with both the radiation and chemo teams to discuss treatment.
I have to say, my husband and I live in an amazing community.  The Fire Company's Ladies Auxiliary made meals for us each day.  Local friends made meals, sent cards, helped with the kids and kept my husband sane.  Our family sent lots of love and support as well in many ways.  Not to mention my wonderful work family who have just been fabulous right from the beginning.  I am very blessed to have such an amazing support group!!!!
Kids go back to school Tuesday and I return to work.  Very excited to get back in the swing of things and to see everyone.  I am still pretty sore and probably will be for at least another month, but I promised my husband I would take it easy!
That is all I have to report at this time...I hope all my readers are doing well and if not, know this is a place to drop your lemons and receive some Lemon-AID in return!
Take care!!!

1 comment:

  1. SO glad to read a full update!! I miss you and will get out there to see you and deliver my stockpile of hugs very soon!! Call if you need ANYTHING!

    ReplyDelete