Saturday, August 3, 2013

The Plan....

Well we went to Roswell on Thursday and met with our breast surgeon.  I would have to say we talked for about an hour about treatment.  The specifics of the pathology report are this...I have what is called invasive ductal carcinoma...grade 3...stage 2.  Which means, the cancer is in my milk duct and the invasive part means it is attacking the cells outside of the milk duct.  The grade and stage are all determined by size, growth rate and various other things.  It reminds me of those multiple choice question quizzes you used to take in magazines; if you circled A you get 1 point, B 2 points, and so on.

So the plan is....surgery on August 19th, time to be determined, they will go in and take out the cancer and the lymph nodes that is draining it.  At that time they will inject a dye that will show them specifically which lymph nodes those are.  They will send them to the lab to be tested right then and there.  If it has invaded the lymph nodes they will remove them all, if not just the ones that are draining the cancer.  SO...this means, if all looks well, I come home after surgery, if they remove them all, I will stay over night and have a drain under my armpit.....that sounds FUN!  LOL.

Doctor said it could take 4-6 weeks to complete recover, I'm saying no more then 3...I need to get back to work.  After that I will need to go for Chemo.  Right now they are telling me it will be a pretty high dose, but the pathology of the cancer will determine that as well.  I am voting for a port.  I really am not thrilled about being stuck each time I go.  I bruise pretty easily and I don't have the greatest veins.  This will make it easier and less frustrating for myself and the administer.

AFTER the Chemo comes radiation.  I have my mind set that it will be more of an annoyance then painful.  Radiation is an everyday treatment.  Let's hope old man winter isn't too grumpy this year either.  Hate driving in that crap.  I'm so spoiled that I live and work in the same town.

SO by the time all is said and done I should be posting "Cancer Free" a year from now.  That isn't too bad, right?  It will be a rough road, but Team JB can do it!

Well off to get ready for a family reunion....can't wait!

Thanks for the support and love!  Keep the Lemon-aid flowing!

No comments:

Post a Comment